The Town of Apex, North Carolinafirst settled in the 1860s and incorporated in 1873was one of the earliest new towns to develop around the state capital of Raleigh, as railroads traversed the county after the Civil War.
The name "Apex" was adopted because the community was the highest point on the Chatham Railroad between Richmond and Jacksonville, Florida. The current town motto—"Apex, the Peak of Good Living" not only captures the name's historical significance, but refers to the fact that in places along the town's main street (Salem Street), water which falls on one side of the street flows to the Neuse River, and on the other side it flows to the Cape Fear River.
The Apex downtown district reflects the town's rich historical beginning and is highlighted by the landmark 1914 Apex Union Depot. The Depot has been restored to its original glory and now houses the offices of the Apex Chamber of Commerce, a Visitors’ Center and meeting room. Visitors enjoy the rich woodwork, double fireplace, ticket windows of the stationmaster’s office, and the old switchmen’s lanterns. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places and is open weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Apex, North Carolina is also home to:
• One of the state’s most intact turn-of-the-century railroad towns with 60 well-preserved commercial buildings and homes dating from 1870-1940.
• A restored downtown area that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Downtown Apex features antique and specialty gift shops, as well as dining experiences that include an ice cream parlor, a fine dining bistro and more. For more information on downtown Apex visit www.apexdowntown.com
• New Hope Valley Railway, offering rides on restored trains and the nearby North Carolina Railroad Museum.
• The annual PeakFest held the first Saturday in May with hundreds of crafters, fine arts, food and more. And while many of the attractions provide a glimpse into the past, Apex continues to grow and change.